I'm discovering how to have fun being 21 in Boston. I love going out, good drinks, good food, good friends, and I'm always looking for somewhere new and exciting. Let's get together for a drink.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Double the fun...

I love the Boston Globe Events Calendar. I really do. I mostly rely on it for last minute weekend events and concerts that I may not have known about had I not read through the events calendar.

In yesterday's calendar, correspondent Linda Laban wrote a great article on the phenomenon of what she refers to as "50/50 clubs." These are places that double as a great dinner locale and as the night rolls on, the location turns into a trendy bar/lounge/club.

She says,

This kind of entertainment alchemy, where a convivial restaurant becomes a lively club, is known as 50/50. It’s the higher-energy, modern slant on the traditional American supper club, really. But this version attempts to attract two different crowds, one that’s here for a good meal and then, later, another that wants to dance, mingle, and live it up a little. Somehow, to keep everyone happy and coming back for more, the two have to be spliced seamlessly.

I, for one, stray towards these locations. I love places where you can go and grab dinner and once 9 or 10 p.m. rolls around, the clientele changes a bit, the place gets more crowded, and all of a sudden you are in the middle of a lively weekend hot spot.

A lot of the places that Laban talked about in her piece, I had actually not been to. The one exception is Sonsie, which I absolutely love! Their food is phenomenal and I am a big fan of their wine list. I love getting a table right by the huge open doors in the springtime.

I'm definitely going to make a point to check out more of these "50/50" spots.

No comments: