I'm discovering how to have fun being 21 in Boston. I love going out, good drinks, good food, good friends, and I'm always looking for somewhere new and exciting. Let's get together for a drink.

Monday, January 22, 2007

For the under 21 set...

I know I'm supposed to be committed to writing about being 21 in Boston, but this recent issue has definitely struck a nerve with a lot of people. According to an article on Boston.com, many Boston clubs were ordered to stop holding 19+ events at their venues until further investigation has taken place regarding a "recent lash of violence at the establishments."

This is quite bothersome. I was once not 21 and the only places my friends and I could go out to and dance were the clubs and bars on Landsdowne Street. This ban also makes it impossible for my friends and I to include our under-21 pals in the weekend going-out festivities.

I understand that there have been some issues of violence, but what I don't understand is why the ones being pin-pointed are those under the age of 21. I also know that city officials have emphasized that this ban will be temporary, but I can only imagine that this may prompt more underage people to try to obtain fake IDs.

For more information on this issue from a college standpoint, check out the Northeastern News piece.

No comments: