I'm discovering how to have fun being 21 in Boston. I love going out, good drinks, good food, good friends, and I'm always looking for somewhere new and exciting. Let's get together for a drink.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Future Sex/Love Sounds

Justin Timberlake may be one of the best performers that I have ever seen.

I know a lot of people still think he's just that guy from 'NSYNC. But seeing him last night as a solo act put any thoughts of his days in 'NSYNC far behind.

I had been looking forward to this show for months. And I see a lot of concerts, so that says a lot. I usually don't like huge stadium shows, but I was willing to get some not-so-good seats up in the balcony in order to put myself in the same room as Justin.

We made our way to the TD Banknorth Garden, and got to our seats just as show opener Pink was coming on stage. I was surprised at how well she performed. I'm not a huge Pink fan, but she definitely held her own on the massive stage. I, unfortunately, missed most of her set, as the lines for the bathroom and concessions pretty much wrapped around the entire building.

I finally emerged from the sea of people and made it back to my seat just as the lights went down and "Future Sex/Love Sounds" started playing throughout the arena. The stage took up about 75 percent of the entire floor area. A series of bridge-like structures connected 4 different performance spaces surrounding the main stage. Band members flanked both sides of the main stage and gauze-like screens dropped from the ceilings.

As the music started, Justin emerged from under the stage in a classy 3-piece suit and commanded the audience for next 2 1/2 hours. I had not heard screaming like this since I saw 'NSYNC back during my sophomore year of high school.

Justin managed to play every song of of his album, "Future Sex/Love Sounds" and all of his singles from "Justified." He even did a short version of the 'NSYNC tune "Gone."

He even brought his producer Timbaland on tour with him. I was shocked when I saw him emerge from under the stage right on cue for his part in the song "Chop Me Up."

Justin's dancing was impeccable, his voice incredible, and he proved himself as a legitimate guitarist and pianist.

I could go on and on about the show, but I'm pretty sure I've emphasized all the main reasons why Justin Timberlake is a superstar. Count me in as patiently awaiting his next concert tour.

To read more, check out the Boston Globe and Boston Herald reviews of the show.

No comments: